Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible for the “Senior Freeze” Property Tax Reimbursement program?

If you are age 65 or older or receiving federal Social Security disability benefits, have lived in New Jersey continuously for the last ten years, and have lived in your home for the last three years, you may be eligible for the “Senior Freeze” Property Tax Reimbursement, which benefits seniors and disabled New Jersey residents.

Eligibility requirements for this program were recently expanded, allowing more households to qualify for property tax relief. For the full eligibility requirements and other information, including an application for the “Senior Freeze” Property Tax Reimbursement, please visit the Treasury Department’s Division of Taxation website.

The program deadline is June 1. For assistance in completing the appropriate application, feel free to contact our office.

Are there any property tax credits or deductions available to me under New Jersey law?

You may be eligible for a deduction or refundable tax credit on your New Jersey resident income tax return. For more information, visit the Division of Taxation’s Property Tax Deduction/Credit website.

I am unemployed. How do I apply for unemployment assistance?

The Department of Labor and Workforce Development has set up a website where individuals can file for unemployment assistance or obtain contact information for applying by phone. Click here to file for unemployment benefits. To learn more about unemployment claims, contact the Department at 609-292-7162.

How do I become a Notary?

Notaries are public officers who perform many important services in support of New Jersey’s legal, business, financial and other communities. Notaries are commissioned by the State Treasurer for five years.

To become a Notary you must be 18 years or older, be a resident of New Jersey or a resident of an adjoining state who maintains regular employment in an office within the State, and meet certain personal background requirements.

To apply to become a Notary, bring or mail a completed application form along with a check for $25.00 payable to “Treasurer, State of New Jersey” to my legislative office at 1101 Laurel Oak Road, Suite 150, Voorhees, NJ 08043. We will process the application and send it to Trenton.

I do not have health insurance. Is there a state program to assist me?

The New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance maintains lists of group and individual health insurers authorized in New Jersey as well as valuable information about different types of health care plans and services offered in the state. For more information, visit their website.

NJ FamilyCare is a state program that receives federal and state funding, assisting uninsured children and some low-income parents/guardians in obtaining health insurance. NJ FamilyCare currently provides affordable, quality health coverage to thousands of New Jerseyans. For more information, including eligibility guidelines, visit the NJ FamilyCare website or call the program directly at 1-800-701-0710.

Families who earn too much to qualify for NJ FamilyCare may be able to purchase health coverage for their children at reasonable cost through the NJ FamilyCare ADVANTAGE program, which is administered by Horizon NJ Health. To determine if you qualify for NJ FamilyCare ADVANTAGE, visit their website.

CAMcare is an independent Camden County health care provider with several convenient local locations and affordable access to quality care. They provide a wide-range of services, and no patient is denied care based on an inability to pay for services. To learn more about CAMcare, visit their website.

I recently received treatment at a New Jersey hospital, but I do not have health insurance. How do I pay for this treatment?

If you lack health insurance and have received treatment from an acute care hospital in the State of New Jersey, you may be eligible for the New Jersey Hospital Care Payment Assistance Program (more commonly known as charity care). To determine if you qualify for free or reduced charges on patient care, visit the program website, call the Department of Health and Senior Services’s toll-free number at 1-866-588-5696, or email the department.

I am struggling to pay for the prescriptions I need. Is there a program to help me?

There are several programs available in New Jersey that provide prescription assistance. Both the Pharmaceutical Assistance to the Aged and Disabled (PAAD) program and the Senior Gold Prescription Discount Program provide assistance and benefits to help individuals purchase prescription drugs, provided they meet certain eligibility requirements. Both PAAD and Senior Gold maintain websites with useful information and guidelines, or you can call toll free 1-800-792-9745 for more information.

Rx 4 NJ is an independent program that provides low-income individuals who qualify with prescription drugs for low to no cost direct from the manufacturer. For more information, visit their website.

What are the requirements for a New Jersey driver’s license?

The Motor Vehicle Commission’s website, located here, provides extensive information about driving requirements. You can also renew your registration online, pay a parking or traffic ticket, or learn about MVC’s 6-point identification requirements.

I am a veteran. What state services are available to assist me?

New Jersey offers a variety of services to veterans of the Armed Services. This information is available on the website of the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs website. For the Veterans’ Benefit Hotline, please call 1-888-8NJ-VETS. For the Veterans’ Counseling Hotline, which provides 24/7 assistance to veterans suffering from psychological or emotional distress, including PTSD, please call 1-866-VETS-NJ4.

I am having trouble managing my financial future. How do I check my credit?

Under state law, individuals can request and obtain free copies of their credit histories from each of the three credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax and Trans Union). These histories are available once every twelve months. You can request a credit report online, by phone, or by mail.

I am having trouble paying the utility bills. Is there a state program that can help me?

The federal Low Income Heating and Energy Assistance Program (LiHEAP) assists low-income residents in paying for their heating and cooling bills. To see if you qualify, check the Department of Community Affairs program fact sheet online or call their toll free hotline for more information at 1-800-510-3102.

NJ SHARES is a non-profit organization that provides assistance and referrals for New Jerseyans who are having trouble paying their utility bills. For more information on NJ SHARES, visit their website or contact them toll free at 1-866-657-4273.

The New Jersey Universal Service Fund (USF) is a program to help eligible consumers pay their natural gas and electric bills. More information about USF, including list of frequently asked questions, can be found online or by calling toll free at 1-866-240-1347.

The NJ Comfort Partners Program is a program that provides a wide variety of direct installation of energy efficiency measures in homes to New Jerseyans who meet certain income requirements. For more information, including eligibility guidelines and contact numbers, visit their website.

My house is being foreclosed on. Is there any state assistance for foreclosures?

The New Jersey Housing Resource Center can provide you with information and options. They have assembled a short fact sheet to assist homeowners who may be facing foreclosure.

The New Jersey Homeownership Preservation Effort (NJ HOPE) is a public-private partnership of organizations that provide information and credit/loan counseling, among many other services, to those who are in danger of foreclosure. To learn more, visit the NJ HOPE website or call 1-888-995-HOPE, their 24/7 toll-free hotline.

I am having difficulty with a local business. How can I register a complaint?

You can submit your complaint online. Click here to visit the website of the Division of Consumer Affairs to file a complaint.

I am a student or a parent of a student looking to learn more about student aid for higher education in New Jersey. What information is available?

The New Jersey Higher Education Student Assistance Authority is an excellent clearinghouse of information about student aid in New Jersey. Visit their website or call them at (phone number) to learn more.

I have a concern on a federal issue. Who are my federal representatives?

All New Jerseyans are represented in the United States Senate by Senator Robert Menendez and Senator Frank Lautenberg.

Residents of Audubon Park, Berlin Borough, Berlin Township, Chesilhurst, Collingswood, Gibbsboro, Haddon Township, Haddonfield, Oaklyn, Pine Hill, Pine Valley, Tavistock, Voorhees and Winslow are represented in the United States House of Representatives by Congressman Robert Andrews.

Residents of Waterford are represented in the House of Representatives by Congressman Frank LoBiondo.

Residents of Cherry Hill are represented in the House of Representatives by Congressman Jon Runyan.

I have a question that isn’t listed here.

You can fill out our Constituent Inquiries form or contact our office.